Panama City’s Amador Causeway gets a New Look
Amador Causeway is a 4km-stretch of road linking the islands of Naos, Perico and Flamenco to Panama City, was originally built in 1913. Constructed using rocks and soil excavated during the building of the Panama Canal, it was never designed to carry much traffic.
The government has invested an amount of US $300 million in the area and rapid development has brought with it Frank Gehry’s Biomuseo and the Smithsonian’s Punta Culebra, along with a myriad of outdoor attractions. One of the most significant improvements of this multi-million dollar rejuvenation project has been an improved traffic flow. Where the causeway once held only two lanes for traffic there are now four.
The facelift has also introduced four new viewpoints – three overlooking Panama Bay and one facing the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal – as well as 7500m of parks, kids play areas and green spaces positioned just before Flamenco Island.
The road construction may have annoyed residents in recent months, but the completion will help ease traffic congestion and make it easier to enjoy the splendor of the Causeway. With the work completed on this section, the Causeway will open up more opportunities to easily cycle and run along the waterfront, with views of the Panama Canal.
The Amador’s makeover shows no sign of stopping. Future plans include a cruise terminal with the capacity to accommodate two ships simultaneously. A vast convention centre is also under construction.