Smart City arrives with Free Wifi to Panama
Panama City will offer the use of free Wi-Fi in several strategic points of the city with the purpose of turning into a Smart City, such as has already seen in some cities in Europe and the United States.
The novelty was launched by the Mayor of Panama, together with the French multinational JCDecaux and the internet company WIGO.
Currently, the free wireless internet service is available in 50 stops of the metropolitan transportation system – MetroBus- and is expected to be extended to all stops in the District of Panama.
This project aims to ensure connectivity to users while waiting for public transport. Users will be able to access a website of the Panama Municipality where they will be able to find out about the service platform offered by the Mayor’s Office, events that are taking place in the city, and also will be a means of security in case of emergencies.
It is expected that eventually the project, through involving the transport company “Mi Bus”, will provide users with access to the bus route that passes through that stop, and alert them of the location of the nearest bus and its estimated time of arrival.
Wi-Fi will be available at the following points:
* First, third and fourth stop of the Cinta Costera, on Avenida Balboa.
* In front of the Justo Arosemena Institute (Via Israel)
* In front of Parque Omar (Via Porras)
* Artes y Oficias Institute (Transístmica)
* At the José Dolores Moscote School (Via España)
* Avenida José A. Arango, next to the Xtra of Los Pueblos 2.
* Old Panama (Via Cincuentenario)
* USMA (Tumba Muerto)